Thursday, November 19, 2009

Busyness

Dear Reader,

Over the past week, I've come to find myself rather busy. I've taken on several volunteer activities, in addition to working fulltime and pursuing a Master's Degree. This week, of all things, we ended up being very busy at work, too.

I can't say I'm as busy as I've ever been, and certainly not that I'm the busiest person I know (Far from it!) but when I think of my level of activity and productivity today versus the long and boring evenings that characterized my life several months ago, I'm encouraged by this thought: When we pursue the things that God has called us to, instead of focusing on what we want to do, we are well equipped to take on every challenge that He throws at us. As with most things related to God and how we go about doing His will, if He has set forth a task for us, He will strengthen us to accomplish it.

What a comfort that is! Think about it: When we feel overwhelmed with tasks, we can ask ourselves which of those tasks are productive, God-given assignments, and which are things that we have assigned ourselves, or that are not focused on enabling us to pursue His calling for us? This forms the easiest way to prioritize our days! Not that there is anything wrong with doing things we enjoy, but not at the expense of our duties, and higher callings.

As I prepare in a couple hours to end this day, I pray that God will help me to properly prioritize my day tomorrow, that I may attend to His work first, and the needs of others second, and finally my own desires. I rest in confidence that, so long as my pursuits follow that pattern, He has promised to bless my endeavors, and to reward my labors with fruit and the satisfaction of accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment