Wednesday, November 11, 2009

New Every Morning

Dear Reader,

The words of an old friend brought to mind this passage:

"This I recall to mind,
Therefore I have hope.
Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed,
Because His compassions fail not.
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.
'The Lord is my portion,' says my soul,
'Therefore I will hope in Him!'"
(Lamentations 3:21-24)

How easily I forget that God's mercy, His faithfulness, and His love for me are new every morning. How quickly I find myself thinking "oh, where is God now? He was just here, and now I feel alone again!"

Nothing could be farther from the truth. He's not only always present, but He's always present in a fresh and a new way every day. I can see God in places I didn't see Him yesterday, hear His voice in ways I didn't hear it yesterday. The truth is that God isn't just a trusted and faithful companion Who walks beside me when He feels like it. He is the undercurrent of life itself.

The reason the Bible talks (Ps. 63:1) about us seeking Him early in the morning is not so that we can prepare ourselves for a day-long session of trying to drag God kicking and screaming back into our lives after He's determined to be distant and aloof today. It is so that we can still our hearts, and prepare ourselves for each new day with Him showing us new and greater evidences of His mercy and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment